Read the Heralds of Valdemar trilogy by Mercedes Lackey. Enjoyable but not that great series. A bit too slow, I found the second book a painful slog in particular. I never had a horse girl phase but I can see why this would have been popular. I wouldn't mind trying more of Valdemar, if the other books are better.
Going to start Honeyeater by Kathleen Jennings tonight, since I'm behind on a reading challenge and really need to catch up.
I snorted at this because saaaame. I liked the last book the best because I liked Stefen as a character. But overall I think the concept of that series was a lot cooler than the execution. It would be really interesting to see it rewritten in a more modern fantasy style.
I had a good chuckle when I realized how very horse-girly this was (in a good way). It's pretty adorable, and I would genuinely recommend this to any teen if it wasn't for the horrific rape in the third book... Maybe I can get away with just recommending the first book?
I think you might have mixed up Stefen with someone else, maybe Skif? He's very cool, but I have a weak spot for the charming thief type.
I agree, it would be interesting to see this rewritten in a more modern fantasy style, but at the same time I think we'd lose something of its slice-of-life charm the first book had. A lot of modern fantasy books are largely straight to the action with little space for quieter moments, and I forgot how nice it was to just take my time with Talia getting used to a safe environment for the first time.
Oh my gosh, haha you're right I was mixing up my Lackey series'. I was thinking of Last Herald-Mage!
I do love some slice-of-life fantasy, absolutely. I go through phases where that is exactly what I want to read and when I feel that way I always end up picking up a vintage fantasy paperback from the 80s/90s :D
It was pretty good, although it ALSO features a horrific rape in the third book (is that Lackey's thing?) so be warned!
I'm not that into the newer cozy fantasy books, but my vintage go-to options are Dealing with Dragons by Patricia C. Wrede, the Redwall series by Brian Jacques, and Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb.
I'm also not a big fan of the newer cozy fantasy books, they tend to lack a compelling conflict for me to root on the characters, and many characters in the newer cozy fantasy books are kinda too annoyingly perfect. Funny you said Assassin's Apprentice, I did read that earlier this year and was incredibly frustrated with Fitz. The very opposite of a relaxing read!
I'll need to check out Dealing with Dragons, I haven't heard of that one but it sounds cute.
Oh yes, a lot of people who dislike the Farseer books say they were frustrated with Fitz. I didn't have that experience personally but I absolutely can see why. However, there's something about Hobb's writing style that keeps me completely immersed even when she's describing something very mundane like Fitz doing chores around the castle and that's why I associate it with "slice of life". Her writing does get LOTS better as the series goes on, so I might be biased because of how much I love the later books.
Dealing with Dragons is really good! Lots of magical cooking and cleaning and funny mishaps. It's middle grade, but I think it would hold up if I reread it as an adult. Hmm, maybe I will...
Aw, I loved Valdemar, but it's probably a bit of a love or hate it thing. Some of the other books might be a little less horse-girl... The Oath books I remember being a bit more sword and sorceress, and a few trilogies focus on the other kingdoms (though there are always horses).
I think it was good, just I'm too old to actually love it. I enjoyed the setting, I liked Talia, the concept was fun, and most of all I really loved the first book's focus on child abuse and how to treat Talia's trauma. Should I read the Oath books next? I'm not really sure what to read next in the Valdemar world, there's so many series it's a bit overwhelming.
sorry for the late reply! Ironically i have been going through my old books, haha.
I feel like I remember Oaths being good, though it's been about a hundred years since I read them. The later you get in the series, I think the more variety there is- the Vanyel books have a lot of whump if you're into that, but the Winds books are more magic and politics as I recall. Oaths (and By the Sword, but I think it makes sense to do Oath first) were some of my favorites, but- this might still be too horsegirl of me- I really liked the Shin'a'in when I read them.
Whump!! I looked up both the Last Herald-Mage and Oaths, and both sound great to me. Hopefully I can get back to Valdemar this year.
I don't mind the horsegirl-ness of Valdemar, I find it charming! I feel if I had read this as a teen, I would have totally fallen in love with it, because let's be real, who doesn't like the idea of being chosen by a magical animal to be their lifelong companion?
Oh, I read Dragonflight and Dragonquest last year and had a fun blast with them, no wonder why they were so iconic. I definitely need to return to Pern too, my friend highly recommended the Harper Hall trilogy.
"Clockwork Boys, Clocktaur Wars Book1" by T. Kingfisher.
Kingfisher (Ursula Vernon) is one of my all time favorite authors. This book is starting a wee bit slow, but we're doing a lot of getting to know the characters and laying the foundations of the world and plot. It's quite compelling!
Finished Death of the Author, which was desperately underwhelming. It's a very meandering story, I was able to guess the final twist close to the beginning, and the valorization of techbros has already not aged well. After all the hype it was a big disappointment.
31. Now reading 20,000 Miles South, a couple telling the story of how they drove from Circle, Alaska to Ushuaia (at the tip of South America) in 1954-1955. For a loose definition of "drove", because they used an amphibious jeep and did some stretches over water, the highway system not being as developed then as it is today.
Currently devouring Ravenous by Kresley Cole. It's the first book in her new series and its pleasantly dark. I'm still getting used to the multiple POVs, though. She makes it work, but I'm not used to so many. It nearly reads like the different scene changes on a day time soap opera.
I'm also slowly enjoying Son of the Morning by Akwaeke Emezi. New to me author, The story is another paranormal romance novel, but with lots of twists featuring Lucifer and some of his Infernal connections. Also bonus points for being queer focused, too.
I'm pushing myself through the last 2 hours of the Fourth Wing audiobook. I am buddy-reading it or I probably would have given up. It is really not working for me.
On a happier note, Count of Monte Cristo is going well. I'm on Chapter 36 (of 117).
I just started The Princess Bride and am partway through the third introduction to the text... this is embarrassing because it's our July book club pick... and even worse, I'm the one who picked it.
no subject
Date: 2026-07-30 06:40 pm (UTC)Going to start Honeyeater by Kathleen Jennings tonight, since I'm behind on a reading challenge and really need to catch up.
no subject
Date: 2026-07-31 01:30 pm (UTC)I snorted at this because saaaame. I liked the last book the best because I liked Stefen as a character. But overall I think the concept of that series was a lot cooler than the execution. It would be really interesting to see it rewritten in a more modern fantasy style.
no subject
Date: 2026-07-31 07:18 pm (UTC)I think you might have mixed up Stefen with someone else, maybe Skif? He's very cool, but I have a weak spot for the charming thief type.
I agree, it would be interesting to see this rewritten in a more modern fantasy style, but at the same time I think we'd lose something of its slice-of-life charm the first book had. A lot of modern fantasy books are largely straight to the action with little space for quieter moments, and I forgot how nice it was to just take my time with Talia getting used to a safe environment for the first time.
no subject
Date: 2026-08-04 04:01 pm (UTC)I do love some slice-of-life fantasy, absolutely. I go through phases where that is exactly what I want to read and when I feel that way I always end up picking up a vintage fantasy paperback from the 80s/90s :D
no subject
Date: 2026-08-05 06:08 pm (UTC)Do you have any other slice-of-life fantasy recommendations?
no subject
Date: 2026-08-13 03:52 pm (UTC)I'm not that into the newer cozy fantasy books, but my vintage go-to options are Dealing with Dragons by Patricia C. Wrede, the Redwall series by Brian Jacques, and Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb.
no subject
Date: 2026-08-14 05:36 pm (UTC)I'm also not a big fan of the newer cozy fantasy books, they tend to lack a compelling conflict for me to root on the characters, and many characters in the newer cozy fantasy books are kinda too annoyingly perfect. Funny you said Assassin's Apprentice, I did read that earlier this year and was incredibly frustrated with Fitz. The very opposite of a relaxing read!
I'll need to check out Dealing with Dragons, I haven't heard of that one but it sounds cute.
no subject
Date: 2026-08-14 07:10 pm (UTC)Dealing with Dragons is really good! Lots of magical cooking and cleaning and funny mishaps. It's middle grade, but I think it would hold up if I reread it as an adult. Hmm, maybe I will...
no subject
Date: 2026-07-31 01:34 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-07-31 07:19 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-08-05 02:41 pm (UTC)I feel like I remember Oaths being good, though it's been about a hundred years since I read them. The later you get in the series, I think the more variety there is- the Vanyel books have a lot of whump if you're into that, but the Winds books are more magic and politics as I recall. Oaths (and By the Sword, but I think it makes sense to do Oath first) were some of my favorites, but- this might still be too horsegirl of me- I really liked the Shin'a'in when I read them.
no subject
Date: 2026-08-05 06:23 pm (UTC)I don't mind the horsegirl-ness of Valdemar, I find it charming! I feel if I had read this as a teen, I would have totally fallen in love with it, because let's be real, who doesn't like the idea of being chosen by a magical animal to be their lifelong companion?
no subject
Date: 2026-08-13 02:08 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-08-14 05:42 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-07-30 08:49 pm (UTC)Kingfisher (Ursula Vernon) is one of my all time favorite authors. This book is starting a wee bit slow, but we're doing a lot of getting to know the characters and laying the foundations of the world and plot. It's quite compelling!
no subject
Date: 2026-07-30 09:07 pm (UTC)31. Now reading 20,000 Miles South, a couple telling the story of how they drove from Circle, Alaska to Ushuaia (at the tip of South America) in 1954-1955. For a loose definition of "drove", because they used an amphibious jeep and did some stretches over water, the highway system not being as developed then as it is today.
no subject
Date: 2026-07-30 09:48 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-07-30 11:10 pm (UTC)I'm also slowly enjoying Son of the Morning by Akwaeke Emezi. New to me author, The story is another paranormal romance novel, but with lots of twists featuring Lucifer and some of his Infernal connections. Also bonus points for being queer focused, too.
no subject
Date: 2026-07-31 03:52 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-07-31 01:33 pm (UTC)On a happier note, Count of Monte Cristo is going well. I'm on Chapter 36 (of 117).
no subject
Date: 2026-07-31 01:36 pm (UTC)