silversea: Buffy holding a red book (Buffy Reading)
[personal profile] silversea posting in [community profile] booknook
It's already Wednesday? Jeez, time go by fast.

What are you reading this week?

Date: 2026-08-19 08:36 pm (UTC)
florianschild: A close-up of Daria from the animated cartoon show. Her glasses show an animated reflection of burning flames (Default)
From: [personal profile] florianschild
I love your icon. :D

Good on you for actually reading the names! I think I would probably start skimming at that point lol.

Date: 2026-08-19 08:35 pm (UTC)
florianschild: A close-up of Daria from the animated cartoon show. Her glasses show an animated reflection of burning flames (Default)
From: [personal profile] florianschild
I had the same thought! Can't believe it's already Wednesday!

I just started Iron Flame by Rebecca Yarros. I listened to Fourth Wing as an audiobook and I kind of disliked the narrator. This sounds petty but she was almost *too* animated when she read. She put so much sass into the most random parts lines of text that weren't even dialog. Anyway, I'm finding that the book is a lot more enjoyable if I read it in my head.

Now I'm listening to the audiobook for London Falling by Patrick Radden Keefe. He also narrates it and he's a wonderful narrator. The story is an intriguing true crime investigation into the death of a 19 year old who was caught up in shady criminal underworld stuff.

Date: 2026-08-19 08:55 pm (UTC)
petrea_mitchell: (Default)
From: [personal profile] petrea_mitchell
Finished the Island of Lost Maps, which in the later parts looks into the terrible security around rare books and why it's so hard to actually bring charges for stealing maps out of them. The author also allows that by this point he has gotten a little too into the story and starts to consider how he, as a journalist, is seen by the people actually involved. Overall middling, not a waste of time but not a book I'm hanging on to.

33. Flight From the Dark, the first of Joe Dever's Kai series of gamebooks, which I last read close to 40 years ago. This is an edition from 2022, with more supplementary material than I remember, but I think the actual adventure text is unchanged.

Date: 2026-08-19 09:08 pm (UTC)
merrileemakes: Tabby cat feet standing on an open book (peets)
From: [personal profile] merrileemakes

Just finished Cinder by Marie Sexton, a short gender swapped Cinderella story. It was cute and entertaining.

I also just finished Wilful Impropriety: 13 Tales of Society and Scandal, an anthology that's better than the title presumes. There were a sprinkling of queer tales, with all stories set in Victorian-inspired worlds. I only skipped the last two stories.

Date: 2026-08-19 09:12 pm (UTC)
hafnia: Animated drawing of a flickering fire with a pair of eyes peeping out of it, from the film Howl's Moving Castle. (Default)
From: [personal profile] hafnia
Just finished The Tainted Cup (it was great! 10/10, do recommend), and now I'm onto Provenance by Ann Leckie...about 60 pages in, not sure if I'm going to finish because I don't like the narrator, alas. :P

Date: 2026-08-19 10:52 pm (UTC)
spaciireth: (Default)
From: [personal profile] spaciireth
I'm fourth in line for one of my library's three copies of The Tainted Cup so I will hopefully get hold of it in the next month or two. I'm really looking forward to it!

Date: 2026-08-19 10:49 pm (UTC)
spaciireth: (Default)
From: [personal profile] spaciireth
I've got 40 pages left of Greenteeth by Molly O'Neill, which I have enjoyed for the most part. A couple of quibbles about the repetitiveness of certain things, but apart from that, a really fun cozy horror.

Next I'm going to be starting Lathe of Heaven by Ursula K. LeGuin, which is part of my r/fantasy bingo card.

Date: 2026-08-19 11:53 pm (UTC)
dark_phoenix54: (Default)
From: [personal profile] dark_phoenix54
Still on The Elusive Body, about diagnostics. I thought it would be case studies but it's about how doctors learn to diagnose and the history of how it's done. Not as interesting as I thought it would be but I'm going to finish it - slowly.

Date: 2026-08-20 05:19 am (UTC)
vamp_ress: (Default)
From: [personal profile] vamp_ress
Sounds interesting anyway! Put this on my watchlist.

Date: 2026-08-20 02:59 am (UTC)
cornerofmadness: (Default)
From: [personal profile] cornerofmadness
The Mystic and the Missing Girl by Vikki VanSickle - paranormal mystery just starting so can't say much yet

Date: 2026-08-20 05:15 am (UTC)
vamp_ress: (Default)
From: [personal profile] vamp_ress
I'm listening to I'm afraid you've got Dragons by Peter S. Beagle for [community profile] bookclub_dw. It's fun and entertaining but nowhere near as groundbreaking as The Last Unicorn. As for reading, I started Natasha Pulley's The Lost Future of Pepperharrow. This is my second attempt at reading this novel. The first time around something else had to take precedence midway through and now this book has been lying around for two years, so I started over. She writes beautifully, but I don't like this half as much as The Watchmaker of Filigree Street or even The Kingdoms (which is a masterpiece). Maybe it's simply the fact that this is set in Japan. Asia just doesn't interest me at all.

Date: 2026-08-20 01:27 pm (UTC)
vriddy: White cat reading a book (reading cat)
From: [personal profile] vriddy
About to get into All Of Us Murderers, my first KJ Charles! Excited to start after seeing this author recced so much :)

Date: 2026-08-25 08:54 am (UTC)
suncani: image of book and teacup (Default)
From: [personal profile] suncani
I'll be interested to see what you make of it as a KJ Charles 1st time reader. I think its one of her weaker ones personally but I won't say anymore as it might spoil it.

Date: 2026-08-26 11:35 am (UTC)
vriddy: Person holding a stack of books so high their face can't be seen (books)
From: [personal profile] vriddy
Colour me delighted to hear this as I enjoyed it quite a bit and finished it in a couple of days :D In what ways would you say it's weaker? The plot? The relationship? Something else? The writing felt strong throughout and the fake gothic ominous description at the start set the book up well for what it turned into. I was also very happy with the "second chance" aspect of the relationship, like, you may have found the perfect person for you but that doesn't mean you won't have to also do some work on yourself before it can work out. I don't know, I'm pretty happy with my read, and happy to hear there's a good chance I'll enjoy the other ones even more now?? XD

Date: 2026-08-26 06:39 pm (UTC)
suncani: image of book and teacup (Default)
From: [personal profile] suncani
Oops I've just read my comment back and it sounded much more negative than I intended. I think I just struggled a lot with the gothic framing that to me got more and more silly as the book went on. In hindsight a better way to phrase it would have been I didn't enjoy it as much However, it's still an interesting book in terms of plot, and as always the relationships are a joy to read. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

You're right that there is a very good chance you'll find the others just as enjoyable. My favourite is the Will Darling trilogy a post WW1 ex soldier gets mixed up in spycraft and it goes on from there, but that's the beauty of K.J Charles is that there's quite a bit of variety to choose from :D
Edited (Extra thought ) Date: 2026-08-26 06:41 pm (UTC)

Profile

a nook just for the books

August 2026

S M T W T F S
      1
2 34 56 78
91011 12 131415
161718 19202122
232425 26 272829
3031     

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Aug. 29th, 2026 03:21 pm
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios